The Concession Opal card allows eligible students to access half-price fares for travel on NSW public transportation. The Concession Opal card can be used on all NSW public transport services. Click here for more information on transport services for which you can use a Concession Opal card. You must carry your student ID card as proof of identity if you pay for NSW public transport with your Concession Opal card.
You can find information about how to apply for a Concession Opal Card on the Concessions with Opal Card web page.
Am I eligible?
You are eligible to apply for a Concession Opal card if you are:
- an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident,
- residing in New South Wales, AND
- a full-time student enrolled on an internal basis (except where you are enrolled on a part-time basis and/or on an external basis because you have a disability). Click here for information on the units of credit you must be enrolled in for a full-time course load.
If you are an International student, you are not eligible for a concession unless you are receiving an approved Australian Government scholarship and you are enrolled full time.
Approved Australian Government scholarships include:
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarships, funded by the Department of Education and Training for full research scholarships
- The Endeavour Postgraduate Leadership Award and the Endeavour Vocational Education and Training Leadership Award
- Australian Awards (two scholarship streams) funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for full scholarships