Eligible students are entitled to a concession Opal card. You can apply for a concession Opal card if you meet all these criteria:

  • are an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia

  • reside in New South Wales

  • are a full-time student enrolled on an internal basis (except where a person by reason of disability is enrolled on a part-time basis and/or on an external basis).

From 2019, domestic students wishing to be considered full-time need to enrol in a minimum of 12 Units of Credit (UoCs) each term, or 36 UoCs across three standard terms with at least one course enrolment in each term. 

How to apply

  1. You will be required to give your consent for UNSW to provide details of your eligibility to Transport for NSW before you can apply for your concession Opal card. Eligible students can indicate their consent through myUNSW

  2. Please allow 2 business days for your information to reach Transport for NSW. You can then apply for your concession Opal card by visiting

  3. Your card will be posted to your mailing address 5-7 days after your application is completed. You will need to activate your card when it arrives.

For more information, see the Travel Concessions with Opal Card web page. 

If you have any further questions or problems ordering a concession Opal card, contact The Nucleus: Student Hub